Friday 20 April 2007

Nice Day

Today I broke out of my poker ennui and fired up Party; after an hour I got hungry and quit, $1600 up. So I decided to come on here and brag, err, I mean share my secrets.


$800 came from one player over 2 hands. Both were at 6-handed $2/$4 No Limit Holdem;

First hand it's folded to his small blind and he raises to $14; he has $400 in total. My jacks look nice so I reraise to $48. He instantly makes it around $150 - I am pretty happy here, since I've never seen anyone react so fast with AA/KK in this situation. He'd have to at least think about trapping. I push all in for the remaining $250 and he tanks briefly then calls.
The board looked pretty dire on the turn showing T87A; I could only beat 99 or something really crazy. Waddya know, he shows 99.

In the second hand he again makes it $14 with $400 behind, this time from the cut-off, and from the button I randomly reraise to $52 with QJ offsuit. I normally muck here but I was feeling playful.
He checks to me on a flop of Q44 with two diamonds. I think a little and just check behind. Usually I would bet for value against JJ or worse, planning to check it down and fold if he calls and leads the river, but intuitively I sense a good spot to induce a bluff.
A Q on the turn gives me the lock and he leads for $88. I call and he instantly goes all in on the river for $276, almost exactly the size of the pot. AJ offsuit no good mate.


From this you would think that we'd been dueling the whole time, but these were virtually the only hands we played together today. We've sat together a fair amount in the past and I've taken quite a bit of money off him, but he's not a fish, in fact he's probably a winning player.

This shows a lot about how the games have evolved. Months ago I would play ultra-aggressive, reraising people constantly and making tons of moves to get this kind of action. But I don't regularly reraise this player with weak hands. I don't bluff him a lot. Now, just by fitting a 'profile' of never limping preflop and betting a lot of flops the good players assume that you're crazy.

I guess ABC is the new LAG?

No comments:

Post a Comment